Unboxing your newly bought printer is the most exciting thing. Follow the instructions given below to begin HP printer setup and enjoy printing with ease.
- Remove the packaging around your printer carefully.
- Next, plug in the power cord of your printer in the power source and turn on your printer.
- Install print cartridges.
- Give your printer a few minutes to complete the start-up routine successfully.
Now, it is time to connect your printer wirelessly.
Methods To Configure HP Wireless Printer Setup
There are 3 common methods to perform HP wireless printer setup given below. Check out which method works for your printer to connect to your wireless network.
- HP Auto Wireless Connect
- WPS (Wi-fi Protected Setup For Printers Without Touchscreen)
- HP Wireless Setup Wizard (For Printers With Touchscreen)
- And, HP Wi-Fi Direct (When A Local Wireless Network Is Unavailable)
- Print with Wi-Fi Direct using HP Print Service Plugin (Android)
- Or, Print with Wi-Fi Direct (iOS, iPadOS)
- Print with Wi-Fi Direct (Windows 10)
- Print with Wi-Fi Direct (MAC)
HP Auto Wireless Connect For HP Wireless Printer Setup
The HP Auto Wireless Connect technique to connect wirelessly is not available to all computers or network configurations. There are some preliminary conditions that must be settled before you begin with HP Auto Wireless Connect.
- You are using Windows Vista (or latest versions) on your computer, and Mac OS X 10.5 (and newer) in the case of the MAC system.
- Your computer is connected to a wireless network and the operating system is in control of the wireless adapter. This will help the HP software to get your system’s network settings.
- The wireless network your computer is connected to is of 2.4GHz and not 5.0GHz because not all printers are compatible with this frequency.
- You are not using a static IP address on your system.
- Your printer stays in HP Auto Wireless Connect mode during the starting 2 hours when it is powered on. If you miss this time, you can switch to the mode manually using the “Restore Network Settings” or “Restore Network Defaults” option from the control panel of your printer.
Steps To Use HP Auto Wireless Connect:
HP Auto Wireless Connect enables the connection of your printer to a wireless network automatically without any cables. In addition to this, you will not be asked to enter wireless network settings such as your network name or password.
Here’s what you need to do to set up the connection.
- First, install the HP software for your printer.
- Follow the instructions that come up on your screen.
- Click on the ‘Network’ connection type when prompted on your screen.
- Finally, click on “Yes, send my wireless settings to the printer (recommended)”.
Now, the software will handle the rest and help you with the HP printer WiFi setup.
WPS (Wi-fi Protected Setup For Printers Without Touchscreen)
Another most preferred way to perform HP wireless printer setup is by using WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup). There are two ways to set up using WPS.
- Push-button method
- PIN method
Because the Push-button method is widely accepted by HP users, we will be discussing the same in the sections further. There are some preliminary conditions that must be settled before you begin to use WPS pushbutton mode.
- Check your printer manual and ensure that both the printer and your router support the WPS pushbutton method.
- Your network must use Wireless Protected Access (WPA2/ WPA) security. The WPS wireless router will not connect if WEP or no security is used.
- The WPS wireless router will not connect using the WPS method if you are still using the manufacturer’s default for the network name.
Steps To Use WPS Pushbutton method:
- Start WPS pushbutton mode on your printer. Follow the instruction given in your printer’s user manual for the same.
- Once it is started, switch on the WPS button on your router.
This will help you in wireless HP printer setup.
HP Wireless Printer Setup Wizard (For Printers With Touchscreen)
You can easily skip to this option for HP wireless printer setup if your printer has a touchscreen. The method involves the use of network settings, network name, and password to set up the printer wirelessly.
Steps To Use HP Wireless Setup Wizard:
- Go to your printer’s control panel.
- Select the Network menu and click on the wireless icon.
- Next, go to Settings and click on Wireless Setup Wizard.
- Now, select your wireless network name from the list of options shown on the screen.
- Select your wireless network’s name from the list. If your network is not there, enter it manually. Make sure you enter the name exactly.
- Lastly, to connect wirelessly, enter your WEP key or WPA passphrase exactly the same. If it does not connect, print the Wireless Network Test report to identify the issue.
HP Wi-Fi Direct (When Local Wireless Network Is Unavailable)
When you have no local wireless network around you, HP Wi-Fi Direct is your best bet. This option is available in all the versions released after 2014. The steps to use this option for HP wireless printer setup is different for all type of devices (Android, Windows, Mac, etc.). Check out the steps which you need to follow for different devices.
HP Wi-Fi Direct Using HP Print Service Plugin (Android)
If you are willing to print from the HP printer using your Android phone or tablet then use HP Print Service Plugin. Follow the steps given below to set up your printer.
- Download and install the latest version of the HP Print Service Plugin mobile application from Google Play Store.
- Add paper to the paper tray of the printer and switch it on.
- Open the image or document you want to print on your phone and click on ‘Print’.
- Select printer with ‘Direct’ in the name to print and enter the Wi-Fi password.
- To make the connection successfully, click OK once you see the Wi-Fi Direct or Information button blinking.
- Wait for the connection to get stable.
Once the connection is stabilized, click on ‘Print’ to print the document.
Print with Wi-Fi Direct (iOS, iPadOS)
If you are willing to print from the HP printer using your iOS device, follow the steps given below for the HP printer wifi setup.
- Add paper to the paper tray of the printer and switch it on.
- Open the document or image you want to print.
- On your mobile device, open Wi-Fi settings and select the printer to print from with the name starting with DIRECT.
- Enter your WiFi password and click on ‘Join’.
- Now, click on Print from your mobile to print the document.
- Click on the ‘AirPrint’ option if prompted on screen.
- Choose your printer and click on ‘Print’.
Print with Wi-Fi Direct (Windows 10)
The next method is for HP wireless printer setup with Wi-Fi Direct if you are using Windows 10 system.
- Click on the Start button and search for Printers and scanners.
- Next, click on the ‘+’ icon to add printers
- Click on the ‘Show Wi-Fi Direct printers’ button given at the bottom.
- Choose your printer with WiFi direct feature and click on Add device.
- Next, a new screen will pop up asking for WPS PIN. Enter the PIN (generally given on printer or information sheet printed during setup)
- Enter the PIN carefully within 90 seconds.
- Then, click on NEXT
- If a Driver unavailability error message comes up on your screen, install the printer driver first.
- Now, open the document you wish to print and click on ‘File’>‘Print’.
- Select your printer and click on ‘print’
Note: If you are unable to enter the WPS pin within time, restart your system and go through the same process again.
Print with Wi-Fi Direct For MAC
Follow the steps given below to send a printing command wirelessly for your MAC to your HP printer.
- Add paper to the paper tray of your printer properly.
- Open the document, web content, or file you wish to print beforehand.
- Go to your MAC system and click the wireless icon to select your printer with the DIRECT name.
- If asked, enter the password and click on ‘Join’.
- Now, go to the doc you want to print. Click on File > Print
- Choose your printer and click on ‘print’.
Once you are done with printing, open your Wi-Fi network settings and reconnect to your local network.
HP offers multiple ways to print from the printer wirelessly. It is totally up to you which method you choose for HP wireless printer setup. In case you need further assistance or face any issues while setting up your printer, connect with our HP Printer Support experts anytime.