Norton is a premium antivirus software protecting millions of PCs or devices worldwide. It throws a numeric code when it fails or crashes, i.e., Norton error 8504 104 or sometimes Norton Runtime error 8504 104. It gets more annoying when the error code notification keeps reappearing on your screen until you rectify the root cause. Norton antivirus error 8504 104 occurs due to an incompatible program that is running in the background. The other reasons that cause Norton errors are memory problems, wrong graphics drivers, or malware in your system.
The situation can be problematic, but the solution is pretty simple, and you will be required to take a few steps to eliminate the Norton error 8504, 104. This guide covers the basic troubleshooting along with the advanced measures to fix this problem. Even if you are not tech-savvy or not so familiar with computers, you can eliminate the problem using the following steps.
Steps to fix Norton Error 8504 104 for Windows 7,8 & 10
Step 1. Shut down the conflicting program
As we already stated, the Norton error 8504, 104, occurs due to incompatible programs conflicting with each other, so firstly, you will need to close those programs by using the following steps.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del keys together on the keyboard, a new screen will open, here you will need to click task manager.
- Now you will see the list of programs currently running in your system.
- Click the stop process button, highlight the programs one by one, and click the End process button.
- Observe the error appearing on the screen while you try to close these programs, and once you identify the program causing an error, you may proceed with the next step.
Step 2. Reinstall the conflicting program
- If you have Windows 7 PC, click over the Start icon, choose Control Panel, and click uninstall a program.
- If you own Windows 8 PC, then go to the start icon; the list opens here. Click more settings, choose Control Panel, and click uninstall a program.
- For Windows 10 PC, click the search box and type Control Panel, hit enter, and click uninstall a program.
- After completing the appropriate steps, head over to the programs and features, choose the program that creates a problem, and then select update or uninstall.
- Depending on your selection, you will have to follow the adequate steps as per the on-screen instructions to uninstall or update the program.
- Now reinstall the application from the developer’s website or installation disk.
Step 3. Run Norton remove or reinstall tool
If reinstalling the conflicting program also doesn’t resolve the Norton error 8504 104, try to fix it using Norton remove or reinstall tool. This is a highly significant step, and it aims to eliminate or not and related issues in its very first attempt.
- Visit the Norton website from your computer.
- Locate the Norton remove and reinstall tool on the website.
- Click the download button adjacent to the tool.
- When the system asks you for the location to save a file, then choose desktop. (Sometimes, it is automatically selected as download or documents).
- Wait for some time to let the download complete.
- Click the NRnR icon on the desktop to launch installation.
- Agree with the terms and conditions and keep following instructions until the installation completes.
- Now open the program and click the advanced options tab.
- Click remove only and select remove.
- Next, you will need to click over restart when your system instructs you to do it.
- Once your PC restarts, you can follow the newly downloaded tool’s instructions to remove & reinstall Norton.
Step 4. Remove non-Norton or non-Symantec security software
Having non-Symantec security software causes trouble and conflicts with the Norton antivirus software, leading to Norton error code 8504, 104. Use the following steps to uninstall the non-Norton software.
- Firstly, you will have to navigate to the Control Panel on your computer.
- Click the programs and features.
- Scroll the list, locate the non-Symantec product, and click uninstall or remove.
- Additionally, verify that you are not using software from an unknown authority. If you are, then remove that as well.
Step 5. Reinstall or update the graphics driver
Using an outdated graphics driver also creates a lot of trouble, and it’s essential to have them up-to-date for the smooth running of your system. You can follow the steps given below to update the drivers manually, and later on, set them to automatic update mode.
- Open the run dialogue box by pressing the Windows and R keys together.
- Now once the run dialogue box opens, type devmgmt.msc.
- On the device manager window, open display adapters.
- Now you will have to right-click on the HD graphics card and click properties.
- Click the Driver tab, and verify whether you are using an outdated or current graphics card driver.
- If you found it an outdated one, download and install the latest drivers using on-screen instructions.
- Restart your computer, begin using Norton antivirus and verify whether the Norton error 8504, 104 results or not.
Get the prompt Norton expert support
Are you unable to fix Norton error 8504 104? At times, the users cannot eliminate an error due to technical issues or non-expertise. Hence you can rely on a prompt customer support team to get the error fixed. Contacting Norton support ensures and guarantees the quick resolution of a problem. Get in touch with us through a toll-free helpline number.